Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I am trying to identify an insect that has recently appeared in large numbers in my backyard.?

I live in southern california and I have never seen anything like this insect. They are generally black and sometimes have red coloring on the top or underbelly. They have wings but I have never seen them fly. The largest I've seen them is about 1 centimeter. If you step on them it seems that lots of blood comes out. The most peculiar thing about them is that they connect to themselves from the back and walk around as if they united to become one. In sum it is a pretty ugly insect but I am extremely curious as to what kind of insect it is.I am trying to identify an insect that has recently appeared in large numbers in my backyard.?
That is called a love bug look up the picture on yahoo images and you'll see it. they become a real pain on the front of cars. go here and that is a picture of the bug.I am trying to identify an insect that has recently appeared in large numbers in my backyard.?
sounds like love bugs. in fl. they get so many that your windshield gets covered with bug stuff. it's kinda gross.
Sounds like a box elder beetle to me. Here is a pic for comparison.


http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/im鈥?/a>





edbarron is right. Here is a love bug from wikipedia:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_bug





I've never seen one of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment