Monday, December 21, 2009

Is it advanced for a 20 month old to know a few numbers and a couple of letters?

He sees letters on packages, signs, clothes, everywhere and points to them and calls out their names. The same with a few numbers. Is this advanced for a baby of his age?Is it advanced for a 20 month old to know a few numbers and a couple of letters?
I was wondering the similar, at what age is it normal for children to recognize and name letters. My daughter is 17 months and she knows A, B, E, M, O and I. I haven't really gone out of my way to teach her, she loves to use her Leap Frog alphabet magnets that say each letter and their sounds- I think that has had a lot to do with her early achievements!Is it advanced for a 20 month old to know a few numbers and a couple of letters?
most 20-month-olds can't do this, if that's what you're asking. but my experience after having four kids is that kids learn whatever you bother to teach them pretty much whenever you bother to teach them. if you've been making a big effort to teach letters and numbers, it's not that surprising. my 25-month old knows a bunch of letters just because his older siblings are so intent on teaching him to ';read';, lol. but do keep in mind that at that age, it doesn't really matter if they can read or not, but it does matter tremendously that they're spending time learning about how the world and their bodies work (building block towers, doing simple puzzles, playing at the park, banging on pots and pans, etc.). no harm in teaching some letters and numbers, but make sure it's not at the expense of good old fashioned play. all my kids have been early readers, but the truth is it doesn't really matter when they learn to read as long as they're doing it by first grade or so. the research is that most early readers have no advantage over later readers by second grade or so. so no need to push or compare. just play and enjoy. but of course if he enjoys looking for ';A's';, no problem with that. :-)
I think its about normal. My daughter is 22 months old, and is at about the same point.
I think its normal as well... My son was just a year and something when he knew a couple of thinks... My son at 1 years old already knew where he's mouth was and nose and etc... So if they were advance good for them... Hope all goes well... =)
Recognizing them, not really. Toddlers are easily able to recognize common items/objects they are exposed to.





If he actually understood how they worked, etc....then yes that would be advanced.





At any rate though, it seems as though he is coming along fine!
I would say probably, a little bit anyway as far as the numbers.





My daughter is 22 months and can count to three if you prompt her with the number 1 and items to count.





She also points to things and calls out their names though...
if he calls out the name eg tesco he is probally recognising the packaging rather than the name if you mean saying a or c then advanced for his age no's about the norm

No comments:

Post a Comment